SlivenspacerSliven is situated in the south-eastern part of Bulgaria at the foot of the southern slopes of Sliven Mountain. The traces of the oldest settlements on the territory of Sliven date back to New stone age – VI millennium B.C. The surroundings of Sliven were populated by Thracian tribes. In II century B.C. The Romans came here. Sliven is famous as “the town of 100 leaders” who were the leaders of the revolutionary movement. The old name of the town is Savolen and it comes from the fusion of three rivers on the territory of Sliven– Stara reka, Kurucha and Asenovska.

 

spacerSliven holds the 8-th place in the country with regards to population. With its 115 000 residents, it is the administrative center of The Municipality of Sliven and the District of Sliven.

 

spacerDuring The Renaissance Sliven was an important trade, crafts, cultural and educational centre. In 1836 the first industrial enterprise on The Balkan peninsula – the textile factory of Dobri Zheliazkov was opened in Sliven.

 

spacerThe town is situated at the foot of the southern slopes of Slivenska planina (Balgarka peak – 1181) from which Eastern Stara planina starts. The natural park “Sinite kamani” is to the north of the town. It spreads on approximately 11 500 hectares of the Sliven Balkan, famous under the name “Karandila”. You can go there by car or by chairlift. The architectural reserve Zheravna is 50 km from Sliven and Ichera is 25km.

 

“The peach valley” is situated to the east of the town, whose great fruit gardens were recovered in the past several years.